Happy Tuesday everyone! I hope you are having a great week so far . This week may be the week of recipes but get excited because I’ve found some good keto recipes! This first recipe is going to be keto pasta. What?! I know. I have not had too much success with using fathead (cheese-based) doughs but this one is good and holds up well. I found this recipe on Pinterest from The Sugar Free Diva and love it! I have added it down below as well:
Keto/Low Carb Noodles
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella (I used Kroger brand)
- 2 Egg Yolks – slightly stirred
- Optional: Salt, Pepper, and Italian Seasonings (garlic, dried parsley, etc.)
*Try to have both of these at room temp – it makes it a lot easier
- Prep a flat surface with parchment paper (don’t use a baking sheet for this).
- Microwave the mozzarella in the microwave in 60 second times. Should take about 2 minutes.
- Allow the cheese to cool for about 45 – 60 seconds before adding egg so that you don’t get scrambled eggs.
- Gently fold the yolks into the cheese until combined. It should start forming a ball similar to a bread dough.
- Transfer the dough onto the parchment paper surface and roll the ball out. You can use a rolling pin or your hands, both work. I would suggest putting another piece of parchment paper on top so that the cheese doesn’t stick to you or the pin.
- Once you have rolled the dough out to your preferred thickness, use a pizza cutter or knife to cut strips. Make sure to cut the strips well enough to separate from each other.
Note: I rolled my cheese out and cut them similar to fettucine noodles. I’m not great with cutting straight lines and the cutter seemed to make it harder but whatever.
- Now that you have cut your pasta out, you need to let the cheese dry out. This is what helps it hold it’s shape and come across more like pasta. Try to dry overnight if you can – I actually let mine dry for 2 days and it was perfect.
- Once you are ready to cook your pasta, bring water to a boil but don’t salt the water. You will be “blanching” the pasta – dropping in hot water for a short amount of time and then putting them in cold water to stop the cooking. When the water is boiling, drop in the pasta and stir carefully. You will boil them for 45-60 seconds max. Put the pasta in a bowl of cold water or drain them and wash with cold water. Now they are ready to eat.
Add into a pasta sauce and enjoy!
I was very surprised with how good these were. They held up in the water, they held up to the meat sauce I made, and it gave me the good bite that pasta gives but just extra cheese flavor. So good!
I hope you enjoy. Post pictures of your noodles if you make them!